Each day is a step we take towards.........
SALE OF PUGIN'S CONVENT TILES
St Mary’s convent was commissioned by Catherine McAuley, the founder of the Sisters of Mercy. It was designed by Pugin and opened in 1841. The convent church was built behind the convent in 1846 and, almost one hundred years later, was bombed in 1942, and virtually destroyed. However, many of the Pugin/Minton tiles from the church were salvaged and stored. Now, after more than seventy years, the nuns are putting some of the tiles up for sale, offering them to Pugin enthusiasts and, hopefully, sending them to appreciative homes.
The collection has been photographed and various designs are available, including several single tiles, three examples are shown above (P20, P21, P22); two with four tile patterns (P23 and P24), and one with two tiles (P25). There are 137 tiles in total to be sold, the largest quantity of 83 being ‘JT’ tiles, using the initials of John Talbot, the 16th Earl of Shrewsbury, Pugin’s patron and friend, who collaborated on many of Pugin’s projects, including financial contributions
Prices will vary depending on the age and condition, and images will be sent before purchase.
More designs can be seen in the photomontage on the back page.
Further information can be obtained from Nick Williams:
Previously we reported in NEWS the award of The Campion Medal by the British Jesuits to Colette Scully and Martina Maher.
For twenty two and a half years Colette and Martina cooked Sunday lunch for the Jesuit community and novitiate in Birmingham. The recipes have all been tried and tested (on the Jesuits). They are a unique collection of delicious dishes, each paired with a saint! Traditional cooking at its very best for friends and family (and any visiting saints!).
Father Dries van den Akker SJ carried out all the research on the saints and symbols associated with each recipe.
Cost in sterling: £20
All profits to Jesuit Refugee Service
Copies available from:-
St. Mary's Convent
98 Hunters Road
Birmingham B19 1EB