CONSCIOUS CAFE FOR WOMEN
The idea of the Conscious Women's Cafe came from a focus group in St. Mary's Convent Handsworth. The dream/vision was to establish an 'Art and Craft' group that would bring together women of different cultures and ethnicity in order to break down the barriers in the community through a shared experience of being creative together. Like all groups, it had to have a sense of purpose and find a way to support itself financially. Over the months a 'change evolved within Conscious Cafe as it began to move towards establishing Computer Classes mainly for 'Grandmothers' who had time on their hands.
The objective of Conscious Cafe is to empower women of all ethnic, religious and non-religious backgrounds and to raise their mental health profile through acquisition of skills and knowledge within the community framework. Our Conscious cafe computer classes are not traditional ICT classes because our primary focus is on confidence building and mental well-being within a relaxed and user friendly environment.
- 'the course is helping me to get my memory back'
- 'My brain is working again'.
- '... The tutor is calm and this helps me to concentrate, helps my self-esteem and confidence.’
- ‘I feel a new person'.
- ‘I like the computer class because the tutor is very patient and everyone is eager to help and make sure we are doing what we are taught'.
- 'I would like to come more than once a week so as to make more progress'.
- 'very stimulating'.
- 'I like the calm atmosphere, helps me to relax and not be afraid'.