Nicole Keenan (postulant) was invited to help at registration on the Friday afternoon and so it began, an influx of young people into Birmingham from Europe, Great Britain and some even from the USA. There was a real buzz as everyone was excited about the weekend ahead. After registration and evening meal, everyone headed over to St Philip’s Anglican Cathedral for evening prayer.
The next two days had the following format – breakfast eaten together before they headed off to Morning Prayer and scripture study in a local church. In the afternoon there were two workshop slots on different topics, open to all to attend, even the host families. Nicole attended “Rethinking Science within Christian Faith” and visited Birmingham Children’s Hospital. Both of these talks were very informative and moving. The evening closed with Taizé evening prayer at St. Martin’s in the Bullring.
The Sisters enjoyed hearing the stories of the young people and the young people enjoyed the opportunity of living in a Convent and getting to know Sisters.
You will find some of their comments below:
- Thank you for the beautiful time I spent in your Convent of St Mary's, your hospitality and simplicity will stay in my heart;
- I was quite nervous about the event beforehand, but your warmth and friendliness made it feel like I was coming home every evening;
- Thank you for spreading your warmth to us and making our stay memorable;
- It was really a pleasure for me to be hosted by you and I really, enjoyed it;
- Thank you very much for making this weekend an amazing experience;
- Thank you for opening your hearts and for the friendly welcome that gave me a home from home.